Around 1880, mr. Weissenbuch (coppersmith) came to Amsterdam from Quedlinburg (Sacksen-Anhalt, Germany) together with his journeyman Julius (F.W.) Baller (1859). Weissenbuch opened his coppersmith’s workshop at the Rusland (a street in Amsterdam). After some years Julius Baller took over the workshop and changed its name to Koperslagerij Julius Baller (Coppersmith’s workshop Julius Baller). Later the workshop was moved to Kloveniersburgwal 54 (actually just around the corner). At 1 January 1916 his son, Julius (F.W.) (1888) was officially included as his associate. The name was changed to Koperslagerij Julius Baller & Zoon (Coppersmith’s workshop Julius Baller & Son). Some decades later, the sons of Julius Baller (1888), Evert (1920) and Henk (1929) became associates. Due to health issues, Evert had to retire in 1973. Henk passed away in 1975. Because there was no one who could take over the business, closing down was the most likely option. This would mean that the old profession of coppersmithing would disappear from Amsterdam. Because of the important role the firm had in renovation works in Amsterdam, Marten Tulleners (of Tulleners Plumbery/loodgietersbedrijf), Hans ‘t Mannetje (Restauratieatelier Uilenburg) and Juul Baller (1922) decided to take over the company. In 1983 Hans ‘t Mannetje and Juul Baller stepped down and the coppersmith’s workshop was moved away from the Kloveniersburgwal to the site of the Plumbery and became a part of Tulleners BV.
Several years ago the coppersmithery was resurrected independently from Tulleners as Julius Baller, still led by Marten Tulleners himself. Information about the current firm can be found at www.juliusballer.nl